Attorney and founding firm partner, Charles “Chip” Chamberlain has been practicing law in West Michigan for almost 40 years. Early in his career, Chip was a federal prosecutor. Today, his legal practice covers a wide variety of criminal litigation in both federal and state courts, concentrating on complex cases including white-collar crime, healthcare fraud, and other fraud matters.
Chip has earned an excellent reputation among fellow attorneys and judges as a knowledgeable, determined, and effective advocate. He is a strategic thinker who is passionate about his work on behalf of those he defends.
Chip is a fellow of the American and Michigan Bar Foundations. He has also been listed in The Best Lawyers in America every year since 2000, and in Michigan Super Lawyers since 2006. The Grand Rapids Magazine has recognized him as one of Michigan’s top lawyers.
When he’s not working, Chip tries to find time to enjoy sailing, woodworking, and keeping up with his children.
To connect with Chip, send him an email or call our office directly at 616.458.2212.
- Michigan, 1981
- Virginia, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit, 1990
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1981
- College of William & Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1981
- Law Review: William & Mary Law Review, Staff and Research Editor, 1979-81
- Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, 1976
Honors & Awards
- Grand Rapids Magazine Top Lawyers 2020-present, Non White-Collar and White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Leading Lawyers, Top 10 Criminal Defense Lawyers in Michigan, 2020-present
- Leading Lawyers, Top 10 White Collar Criminal Defense Lawyers in Michigan, 2020-present
- Leading Lawyers, Top 100 Lawyers in Michigan, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2000 – Present
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2006 – Present
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation, 1999 – Present
- Fellow, Michigan State Bar Foundation, 2001 – Present
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Advisory Committee on Rules, 1998-2004
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- President, Western Michigan Chapter, 1997-98
- Historical Society for the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Founding Member
- President, 2004-05
- State Bar of Michigan
- U.S. Courts Committee, 1997-03
- U.S. Courts Committee Chair, 2001-02
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- President 2009-10
- Trustee, 2002-06
- Virginia State Bar
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan
- Law Clerk, Hon. Wendell A. Miles, Chief Judge, U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 1981-83
- Assistant United States Attorney, Western District of Michigan, 1983-87
- Private Practice in Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1987 – Present