Julia Anne Kelly has been practicing as a criminal defense attorney for over 11 years, after starting her career as a Deputy Public Defender in Orange County, California. There, she gained invaluable experience as a trial attorney and also successfully handled diverse types of criminal cases, including juvenile petitions and adult felony and misdemeanor cases. Julia has successfully tried Felony gang cases, robberies, residential burglaries, arson, vandalism, assault and battery, possession of child pornography, driving under the influence (DUI/OWI), domestic violence, prostitution and resisting and obstructing arrest.
Since her return to West Michigan, Julia has continued to dedicate her career to providing high quality, compassionate and vigorous representation to clients accused of both misdemeanor and felony charges, at both the state and federal level. She has represented clients throughout Michigan and has handled Federal cases in both the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan. Julia has also successfully argued in the Michigan Court of Appeals.
Julia graduated with distinction with a B.A. from the University of Michigan and earned a J.D. from Michigan State University College of Law, with a concentration in Criminal Law. Julia proudly holds memberships with the Michigan State Bar, the State Bar of California, the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, the Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan, the Federal Bar Association of West Michigan and the Grand Rapids Bar Association. Julia also acts as the co-chair of the ACLU Lawyers Committee of West Michigan.
- California State Bar, 2007
- State Bar of Michigan, 2013
- Federal District Court, Western District of Michigan 2014
- Federal District Court, Eastern District of Michigan 2015
- University of Michigan, 2003
- BA in Psychology, University Honors
- Michigan State University College of Law, 2006
- J.D., Cum Laude Criminal Law Concentration, Full Merit Scholar
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Michigan
- Federal Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan
- Grand Rapids Bar Association