Larry C. Willey
Attorney and founding firm partner, Larry Willey has been practicing law for more than 40 years. Regarded as one of Michigan’s premier criminal defense attorneys, Larry has handled all types of criminal matters, from business-related white-collar crimes and healthcare fraud to tax-related offenses, homicides, and drug crimes.
Known for forceful, no-nonsense, effective advocacy on behalf of his clients, Larry is recognized by his colleagues as a leader in criminal defense.
Larry was elected a fellow of the prestigious International Society of Barristers and the American College of Trial Lawyers. He’s a fellow of the American Bar Foundation and the Michigan Bar Foundation. He’s been listed among The Best Lawyers in America since 1993 and has been consistently recognized as one of Michigan’s top lawyers by Grand Rapids Magazine and Michigan Super Lawyers.
When he’s away from his desk, you’ll likely find him enjoying his children and grandchildren or fly fishing.
To connect with Larry, send him an email or call our office directly at 616.458.2212.
- District of Columbia, 1973
- Michigan, 1978
- Hawaii, 1971
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia, 1973
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1978
- University of Michigan Law School, Magna Cum Laude; Order of the Coif
- Michigan Law Review, 1970-71
- University of Michigan, Graduated with Distinction; Major: Political Science
Honors and Awards
- Grand Rapids Magazine Top Lawyers 2020-present, Non White-Collar and White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Leading Lawyers, Top 10 Criminal Defense Lawyers in Michigan, 2020-present
- Leading Lawyers, Top 10 White Collar Criminal Defense Lawyers in Michigan, 2020-present
- Leading Lawyers, Top 100 Lawyers in Michigan, 2020-present
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers, 1999 – Present
- The Best Lawyers in America, 1993 – Present
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers, 1993 – Present
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Grand Rapids Bar Association, 1985 – Present, Trustee 1997-99
- Federal Bar Association, 1985 – Present
- American Bar Association, 1985 – Present, Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- State Bar of Michigan, 1985 – Present, Fellow, Michigan State Bar Foundation
- Law Clerk, Hon. Martin Pence, Chief Judge, U.S. District Court of Hawaii, 1971-72
- Williams, Connolly & Califano, Washington, D.C., Attorney, 1972-74
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, District of Columbia, Assistant United States Attorney, 1974-77
- U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission, Trial Attorney, 1977-78
- U.S. Department of Justice, Special Trial Attorney, Public Integrity Section, 1979-80
- Private Practice in Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1980 – Present