If you or a loved one has been implicated in a violent sexual offense, your most fundamental rights are at serious risk. Police investigations into such crimes are typically conducted quickly and often involve the gathering — by all possible means — of emotionally compelling evidence. This is particularly true in cases of sex crimes, also referred to as criminal sexual conduct in Michigan.
Moreover, in the case of sex crimes, false allegations are not uncommon, and certain types of convictions can result in mandatory registration as a sex offender, a punishment often more severe than the conviction itself.
Sex offenses encompass a wide variety of conduct, including both violent and consensual acts. The severity of the charge is usually related to the nature and circumstances of the sexual acts as well as the age and relationship of the parties. Sex offenses have serious penalties, and collateral consequences such as registration as a sex offender.
The defense of these cases demands experienced counsel. The issues often involve computer forensics, DNA evidence, medical evidence, forensic interviewing techniques and other matters unique to these cases. Pornography cases are also very serious and carry severe penalties, requiring counsel experienced in that specific area of the law.
Our attorneys represent clients for the following charges in state and federal courts:
- Criminal Sexual Conduct 1st Degree
- Criminal Sexual Conduct 2nd Degree
- Criminal Sexual Conduct 3rd Degree
- Criminal Sexual Conduct 4th Degree
- Assault with intent to commit criminal sexual conduct
- Possession, Receipt and Distribution of Child Pornography
- Manufacture or Production of Child Pornography
- Child sexually abusive activity
- Accosting, enticing, or soliciting for immoral purposes
- Sex Offender Registration Act violations
- Sex Offender Registration & Notification Act violations
If you have been charged with a sex crime, you need aggressive, effective and efficient representation dedicated to protecting your rights and interests at every stage of your case. The experienced attorneys at Willey & Chamberlain will effectively support you from the grand jury investigation through an appeal, if necessary.
For more information about how to defend against your sex or pornography charges, or to learn more about the experienced and trusted sex crime attorneys at Willey & Chamberlain, contact us here or call our office directly at 616.458.2212.